banner  
   
 
 

The history of Parkway Baptist Church sounds like a procession of ‘firsts' as any history from a beginning should. First Baptist Church of Miami began its fifth mission church on January 7, 1957 when Reverend C. M. Russell was in charge of a prayer meeting service held in the Marco Realty Office located at 1721 NW 183rd Street. This office served as a temporary meeting place until a building could be erected on the 2 ½ acre site located at 18000 NW 18th Avenue.

First Baptist Church Chapel, which later became Parkway Baptist Chapel, held its first worship service on January 13th, 1957, when thirteen people came forward to become the first members of the chapel.

On June 2nd, 1957 ground was broken on our property with representatives of First Baptist Church and Reverend J. Ray Dobbins, Superintendent of Missions, taking part in the program. The members of the church and other interested persons began work on the building with Saturdays and Tuesday evenings designated as the ‘work time' to help speed the daily accomplishments. On March 9th, 1958 the dream was realized when members were finally able to move into the building.

The building eventually outgrew the needs of the church and in the fall of 1959, a building fund campaign was launched with bonds sold to finance a new building. Ground was broken for this new building on August 7th, 1960. Parkway became an actual constituted church in 1960 with a ‘service of constitution’ held on September 18th, 1960. The first service in the new sanctuary was held on April 30th, 1961. The rest as the say is history.

  • For a listing of our past pastors or a history of some our organisations such as the Men's Ministry, WMU etc., Click Here >>>
 
     
      Parkway Baptist Church ©2012